When should you call a roofing company?
Quality Exterior specializes in roof repair and maintenance in the Dayton area. As a professional roofing company, we like to offer useful information for both homeowners and business owners in regards to roofing issues and needs. Read our list below to help you decide when its time to call a roofing company to help you.
- You see water damage on your ceiling. If you see water stains, something has gone wrong with your roof. It could be the flashing, a problem with your gutters or downspouts, or bad shingles. Remember leaks only get worse, so if you see water damage to your ceiling it is important to discover the cause and stop it as soon as possible.
- Your roof is old. If you bought your house 20 years ago and have never replaced the roof, it is time to start planning for your new roof. Roofs have a life cycle and have to be replaced every 20-25 years. Sometimes roofs last less time and sometimes roofs will last longer, but every year your roof lasts past twenty years without leaking is borrowed time.
- You can see cracked shingles. If you are seeing cracked shingles then it is time to consider calling a roofing company. A few cracked shingles on your roof can be replaced, but if you are seeing a lot of them throughout the roof, then it is a clear sign your shingles are aged and will protect you much longer.
- You get ice dams in the winter. More common with flatter roofs and climates with cold weather, ice dams form when your attic is warm enough to warm the snow and cause the water to seep under the shingles. This problem can be fixed by improving the insulation in the attic and the living space and by venting the space between the insulation and the roof sheathing. Venting will dissipate any heat that does leak through.
- The edges of your shingles are curling up. Curled shingles are a sign of aging. Curled shingles indicate a problem and are cause to begin shopping for a new roof.
- Your roof has dark stains. If it’s from algae or moss, these dark stains are not typically a big issue. We don’t recommend scraping or power washing your shingles.
- Your neighbors are getting new roofs. Most neighborhoods are built around the same time, within a few years or so. If all of your neighbors are getting new roofs, it is probably time to take a good look at yours to see if it is aging.
- Any part or all of your roof is sagging. Sagging roofs can be a sign of structural damage. Please call a professional immediately if you see that any part of your roof is sagging.
- An excessive amount of shingle granules are ending up in your gutters. The granules on your shingles are there to help keep the sun’s heat away from your house. If they are appearing in your gutters more and more frequently it is a sign that your shingles are wearing out.
- You see mold. Mold is a sign that your drainage system is not working properly. Clean out your gutters at a minimum of one time per year to make sure water can be moved away from your house and roof properly. Not doing this preventative maintenance can cause your roof to wear prematurely.
Call a professional roofing company before small problems become big problems
Any of the reasons above could be cause for concern, however, some issues are easily solved. Call a professional roofing company as soon as you notice an issue and complete regular visual inspections of your roof and drainage system.
If you catch problems with your roof quickly, it could end up saving you thousands of dollars!